[GRASS-user] Re: does the grass support windows 7

Luigi Ponti lponti at infinito.it
Mon Nov 30 11:25:31 EST 2009

From: Micha Silver <micha at arava.co.il>
> Subject: Re: [GRASS-user] does the grass support windows 7
> To: maven apache <apachemaven0 at gmail.com>
> Cc: grass-user at lists.osgeo.org
>
> maven apache wrote:
>

>> does the grass support windows 7 system?
>> This mail was received via Mail-SeCure System.
>>

> Can you try running GRASS in "XP Mode" and report back how it works?
> Thanks,

Hello,
I tried out (Windows 7 home premium) the test protocol at
http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/HowToTestGrass6

and it mostly seems to work fine -- please have a look below.
Kind regards,
Luigi

_Requirements_

    .    GRASS 6 installation: 6.4.0svn r37101 (2009-5-10) OSGeo4W version
    .    Educational data set: OSGeo Educational data set North
    Carolina: http://grass.osgeo.org/sampledata/nc_spm_latest.tar.gz

_Start of the program_

    .    Starts fine from menu icons (TclTk, Text, wxPython)
    .    grass64 --help (or -h or -help) only starts up grass the same
    way it was started last time (-text, -tcltk, -wxpython); it does not
    show the help of the command (OSGeo4W shell).
    .    grass64 -tcltk works OK.
    .    grass64 -wxpython works OK.
    .    Please, note that grass64 -version outputs the usual text plus
    an error message -- see below:

    Geographic Resources Analysis Support System (GRASS) is Copyright,
    1999-2008 by the GRASS Development Team, and licensed under terms of the
    GNU General Public License (GPL) version >=2.

    This GRASS 6.4.0svn release is coordinated and produced by the
    GRASS Development Team with contributions from all over the world.

    This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
    WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
    MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU
    General Public License for more details.
    *ERROR: G_getenv(): Variable LOCATION_NAME not set*

_Re-launch of GUI from command line_

    Works OK from GRASS in text mode.

_Using gis.m TclTk graphical user interface_

    To add a raster map, click in GIS manager on "Add raster layer" button,
    .    Click on word "raster1" which appears in the canvas to enable
    in the lower part the raster map tool (should already be there) OK
    .    In "Display raster maps", select "Base map" button, explode
    "PERMANENT" mapset, and select map "elevation" (click ok or use
    double click on map name) No way to explode "PERMANENT" mapset
    No way to go futher...
    .    To add a vector map, click on the "Add vector layer" button OK
    .    Click on word "vector1" which appears in the canvas to enable
    in the lower part the vector map tool (should already be there) OK
    .    In "Display vector maps", select "Vector map" button, explode
    "PERMANENT" mapset, and select map "roadsmajor" (click ok or use
    double click on map name) No way to explode "PERMANENT" mapset
    No way to go furhter...

_Using wxPython graphical user interface_

    Basic map display

        .    Click in Layer manager on "Add raster map" button,
        .    select raster map "elevation at PERMANENT" in properties
        dialog and click "ok",
        .    right mouse click in layer tree and choose from contextual
        menu "Zoom to selected map", map should appear in canvas.
        .    Try to zoom, to create a profile etc. Profiling on the
        elevation raster is OK but after closing the profiling window,
        there is no way to display anything else except the elevation
        map itself. If a new vector layer is added to the tree, it does
        not get displayed and the elevation map stays on even after
        removal and refresh.
        Expected result: it should just work.

    Digitizing

        Does not work in Windows.

    Extrude 2D vector to 3D vector

        Extruded vector urbanarea with 500m elevation and works OK.

    Display 3D house in NVIZ

        NVIZ outputs the error window below

_Display various maps in classical GRASS monitor_

    Does not work in Windows.

_3D visualization with NVIZ_

    The command nviz elevation vect=roadsmajor crashes nviz.

_Simple raster analysis_

    Raster algebra

        Works fine -- maps checked via wxPython GUI since no d.* command
        is available.

    Raster statistics

        r.univar ndvi works OK.

_Simple vector analysis_

    Extracting from vector maps

        I have done the following and works OK:
        v.extract input=streets_wake at PERMANENT output=streets_wake_large
        where=CLASSNAME = 'USHWY'
        1107 categories loaded from table <streets_wake>
        Extracting features...
        Building topology for vector map <streets_wake_large>...
        Registering primitives...
           10001107 primitives registered
        6166 vertices registered
        Building areas...
        0 areas built
        0 isles built
        Attaching islands...
        Attaching centroids...
        Number of nodes: 1097
        Number of primitives: 1107
        Number of points: 0
        Number of lines: 1107
        Number of boundaries: 0
        Number of centroids: 0
        Number of areas: 0
        Number of isles: 0
        Writing attributes...
        v.extract complete.

    SQL support

        Not entirely clear to me why the proposed command should test
        SQL support when schools_wake has attributes stored in a DBF
        table. However, same functionality implemented via the wxPython
        GUI works OK.

    Vector statistics

        Results as expected -- works OK.

    Transfer raster slope to vector segments

        Not sure what I was supposed to do -- I have done the following:
        v.split input=streets_wake_large at user1
        output=streets_wake_large_split length=1000
        Building topology for vector map <streets_wake_large_split>...
        Registering primitives...
           10001164 primitives registered
        6280 vertices registered
        Building areas...
        0 areas built
        0 isles built
        Attaching islands...
        Attaching centroids...
        Number of nodes: 1154
        Number of primitives: 1164
        Number of points: 0
        Number of lines: 1164
        Number of boundaries: 0
        Number of centroids: 0
        Number of areas: 0
        Number of isles: 0
        For v.to.db I just did the following:
        v.to.db -p map=streets_wake_large_split at user1 type=line
        option=count
        Reading features...
        cat|count
        49479|1
        49569|1
        [...]
        49665|1
        49740|1
        1107 categories read from vector map (layer 1)
        0 records updated/inserted (layer 1)

    Shortest path routing

        Skipped this because the North Caroline streets have a lot more
        classes

_Using QGIS' GRASS toolbox_

    Works OK.

**