[GRASS-user] wxGui query raster/vector

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 3 02:36:09 EDT 2009

Martin Landa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2009/10/2 Nikos Alexandris <nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de>:
>
>>> probably related to the spatial index changes in GRASS 7.0(?). You
>>> need to rebuild topology using v.build or v.build.all (this will
>>> create spatial index file).
>>>
>> is this the same as my question wrt to v.select? I get the same message
>> which demands to build topology (post in the list entitled: v.select
>> error (latest grass_trunk)).
>>
>> Will this affect working in grass6x? Or is it an external spatial-index
>> which won't affect current workflows?
>>

> the vector maps created/modified using GRASS 6.x requires rebuilding
> topology in GRASS 7. GRASS 6.x remains unaffected.

... for the time being, but that may change. GRASS 6.x does not read the
spatial index file written by GRASS 7, therefore vectors
created/modified with GRASS 7 can be read by GRASS 6.x. The way topology
is stored may change in the near future [1], then it will be necessary
to rebuild topology every time you switch from GRASS 6.x to GRASS 7 and
vice versa. Generally, GRASS 7 behaves (a bit) differently than GRASS
6.x, the same command-arguments combination may produce different
results or not work any more. AFAICT, this is possible for all modules
because GRASS 7 introduces a major version change.

Markus M

[1] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/542