[GRASS-user] trouble with 'where' statement to select items by attributes (for d.vect)

Tim Holland timothyholland at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 07:24:50 EDT 2009

Hello,

I am trying to add labels to a map, where most of the labels get printed
beside the shape (in this case, it is a point vector), while one label
(point #16) gets printed above the shape to prevent label overlap.

What I am doing is

#!/bin/bash

d.mon start=PNG

d.vect PointsVect type=point display=shape
d.vect PointsVect type=point display=attr attrcol="Name" yref=top xref=left
where='cat=16'
d.vect PointsVect type=point display=attr attrcol="Name" yref=center
xref=left where='cat!=16'

d.mon stop=PNG

For some reason, the 'cat=16' statement works fine, but 'cat!=16' does not.
For the latter, I get the following error messages:

dbmi: Protocol error
dbmi: Invalid procedure 101

When I look online through bash scripting tutorials, it says != is the
symbol for 'not equal'.  Am I wrong on that?  Is there something else wrong
with my syntax?

Thanks for any help,
Tim