[GRASS-user] import GeoPDF into GRASS: projection and boundaries of GeoPDF file?

Boris.Vasiliev at forces.gc.ca Boris.Vasiliev at forces.gc.ca
Fri Oct 16 13:47:32 EDT 2009

Hi,

I would like to ask for suggestions on extraction of image projection
and boundaries from GeoPDF files.

In particular, I have a high-resolution areal photo saved as a GeoPDF
file that I would like to import as a raster image into GRASS.  At this
time, GDAL does not support conversion of GeoPDF files to other
geo-referenced raster formats and the following steps may be necessary
to import the areal photo into GRASS:

- convert GeoPDF to .jpg
- import .jpg file into GRASS with r.in.gdal
- specify image projection and boundaries with r.region

The image boundaries could be read from the screen in Acrobat Reader
with GeoPDF plug-in. However, I am not sure how to extract the
projection information.

Is anybody aware of tools to find image projection and boundaries
specifications from a GeoPDF file?

Regards,
Boris.