[GRASS-user] Importing Vector Data

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 18 06:42:12 EDT 2009

Bob wrote:
> >  I work extensively in the state of Delaware and
> > the mapping information that they provide is based on ESRI
> > ID 102257 with an ESRI WKT Name of
> > NAD_1983_HARN_StatePlane_Delaware_FIPS_0700.  As a new
> > user of GRASS, what would be the best way to import that
> > data?

create a new location using the text based setup program.
The text and Tcl/Tk based startups lead you to that. (this
starts the g.setproj module)

You will then be prompted to enter NAD83, state, county FIPS
code, and which units you want to use.

Support for this has not yet been added to the wxGUI startup
wizard.

import data with r.in.gdal and v.in.ogr (and others).

> Ultimately, I wish to reproject state plane
> meters to state plane feet

create a second location with the other units, then pull
imported data into the target location with r.proj and v.proj.

if using the EPSG method double check all PROJ.4 terms match.

I notice that GDAL ships with /usr/share/gdal15/stateplane.csv.
Also /usr/share/gdal15/esri_extra.wkt which lists your ESRI ID
number. /usr/share/proj/esri and esri.extra also have it.

Hamish