[GRASS-user] HowTo fix country border topology problem?

Roger André randre at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 14:05:55 EDT 2009

Hi GRASS list,

I've imported a shapefile of country polygons and am trying to use
v.clean properly to clean the topology.  Here is what I have done so
far:

  456  v.in.ogr dsn=unep_coastlines.shp -o type=boundary out=unep_countries
  461  v.clean unep_countries out=unep_clean type=boundary
tool=rmdangle,rmsa,break,rmdupl,rmbridge,bpol thresh=-1,0,0,0,0,0
  467  v.centroids unep_clean out=unep_clean_2
  475  v.clean unep_clean_2 out=unep_clean_2_rmdac tool=rmdac thresh=0

After doing this, I see that I still have some strange looking borders
in Asia.  You can see what they look like here -
http://lagerratrobe.blogspot.com/2009/10/using-grass-to-fix-topology.html.
 I'm not 100% sure what the "x" means, but I think it indicates that
the country border is not a solid line.

How can I remove those extra bits, and create proper areas for each country?

Thanks,

Roger