[GRASS-user] subsampling to a coarser resolution

jamesmcc jlmccreight at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 20:17:18 EDT 2009

Greetings. I'm new to GRASS and after reading the help over and searching
this forum I've decided to post.

I have a raster at 30m resolution in which is nested another raster at 1.5m
resolution. I want to average the 4 points in the center of the higher res
raster (in [row,col] enumerating from 1: [10,10], [10,11], [11,10] and
[11,11]) and assign this to the nesting cell of the lower res raster. Of
course I want to do this over all cells in the raster, which is say 10x10.

Seems easy, but
1. I'm not confident in any of the resample routines going from their
descriptions (probably overlooking something. One problem is that
r.neighbors and r.mfilter arent clear about going between regions and
require odd neighborhoods both of which discourage me from trying them. I've
also done an average resampling to 3m res, but how do i discard all the
unwanted cells and get to 30m res?)
2. How in the world would I check this? Can I print out the cells in the
input raster and check those against the corresponding cells in the output
raster.

For now, I'm just going to do it in my "native" programming language, cause
it really is a trival problem when you're familiar with the software...  I'd
really like to know how to in GRASS.

THanks,

JM