[GRASS-user] General Question

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 2 03:47:44 EDT 2009

Hi Bob,

> I am new to GRASS, just beginning a migration
> from Manifold.  Is there a way in GRASS and/orQGIS to
> select different versions of a north arrow as well as modify
> the scale bar in a legend for printing maps?  In
> playing around with the applications and reading what I
> could find on the subject, there seems to be one choice for
> a north arrow and one choice for a scale bar.

d.barscale has a number of optional flags to play with: -l, -n, -s

also use can use d.graph to throw up one of the Symbols, see
  http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/IconSymbols

for cartography purposes ps.map (and ps.output in wiki/svn addons)
besides the provided north arrow symbols and it's own fancy/plain
scalebar, allows you to draw any .eps file (* and it's easy to convert
..svg to .eps) on the map. Some examples here:

http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/IconSymbols#Other_contributions
 (e.g. http://www.esf.edu/la/resources/GOL/north/2D_vector/default.htm)
http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Ps.map_scripts#Creating_a_fancy_North_Arrow
http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Ps.map_scripts#Converting_SVG_to_EPS

d.legend has lots to explore as well, but that's another story.

regards,
Hamish