[GRASS-user] display image (photo / jpeg) with PNG driver (i.e. add logo to map).

Tim Holland timothyholland at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 02:31:48 EDT 2009

hamish-2 wrote:

> Tim Holland wrote:
>> I am getting an error message with r.in.gdal, though:
>> >WARNING: G_set_window(): Illegal latitude for North
>

> if earlier ver, use gdal_translate to convert to geotiff and
> assign dummy lat/lon coords to it. then fix it with r.region
> once it is inside.

Thanks for the help, Hamish.  I think I am getting closer, but still running
into a bit of a hurdle.

What I have done is the following:
>gdal_translate -of GTiff -a_ullr 101 16 103 14 -expand rgb
/usr/Documents/logo.tif logo.tif

This proceeds, and generates the logo.tif group (you are right - it does
import with separate bands: logo.red, logo.green, logo.blue).  However, it
gives the error message
>Error : band 1 has no color table

When I do r.in.gdal,
>r.in.gdal -o input=/usr/logo.tif output=logo
it does import the file successfully (as opposed to before giving that
"illegal north latitude" error), so that is a step forward.  But (as error
above would suggest), all the bands are either <null> or 0's.

Any ideas?

Thanks again,
Tim