[GRASS-user] gdal_translate and HDF4 problem on 64-bit ubuntu 9.04 server edition

Tveraa, Torkild Torkild.Tveraa at nina.no
Tue Sep 8 07:57:25 EDT 2009

Thanks to Jose I learnt how to use gdal_translate to read HDF4 files,
but it then appeared that there is problems related 64-bit systems that
prevent me from doing what I want. From the internet I see that it is
recommended that HDF4 and gdal should be built from source. I tried to
do so and it seems to me that I was successful in building GDAL 1.6.2
with HDF4 support (see below). Anyway, when I try gdal_translate I get
the same error messages as has previously been reported on 64-bit
systems. Is there any simple solution to this as well?

Torkild

gdal_translate -of GTiff
'HDF4_EOS:EOS_GRID:"MOD13Q1.A2006129.h18v01.005.2008321145449.hdf":MODIS
_Grid_16DAY_250m_500m_VI:250m 16 days EVI' output=output.tif

Input file size is 4800, 4800

0ERROR 1: GDreadfield() failed for block.

ERROR 1: IReadBlock failed at X offset 0, Y offset 0

ERROR 1: GetBlockRef failed at X block offset 0, Y block offset 0

-------

GDAL 1.6.2, released 2009/07/31

The following format drivers are configured and support output:

  VRT: Virtual Raster

  GTiff: GeoTIFF

  NITF: National Imagery Transmission Format

  HFA: Erdas Imagine Images (.img)

  ELAS: ELAS

  AAIGrid: Arc/Info ASCII Grid

  DTED: DTED Elevation Raster

  PNG: Portable Network Graphics

  JPEG: JPEG JFIF

  MEM: In Memory Raster

  GIF: Graphics Interchange Format (.gif)

  XPM: X11 PixMap Format

  BMP: MS Windows Device Independent Bitmap

  PCIDSK: PCIDSK Database File

  PCRaster: PCRaster Raster File

  ILWIS: ILWIS Raster Map

  SGI: SGI Image File Format 1.0

  SRTMHGT: SRTMHGT File Format

  Leveller: Leveller heightfield

  Terragen: Terragen heightfield

  GMT: GMT NetCDF Grid Format

  netCDF: Network Common Data Format

  HDF4Image: HDF4 Dataset

  ERS: ERMapper .ers Labelled

  JPEG2000: JPEG-2000 part 1 (ISO/IEC 15444-1)

  FIT: FIT Image

  RMF: Raster Matrix Format

  RST: Idrisi Raster A.1

  INGR: Intergraph Raster

  GSAG: Golden Software ASCII Grid (.grd)

  GSBG: Golden Software Binary Grid (.grd)

  PNM: Portable Pixmap Format (netpbm)

  ENVI: ENVI .hdr Labelled

  EHdr: ESRI .hdr Labelled

  PAux: PCI .aux Labelled

  MFF: Vexcel MFF Raster

  MFF2: Vexcel MFF2 (HKV) Raster

  BT: VTP .bt (Binary Terrain) 1.3 Format

  IDA: Image Data and Analysis

  USGSDEM: USGS Optional ASCII DEM (and CDED)

  ADRG: ARC Digitized Raster Graphics

  BLX: Magellan topo (.blx)