[GRASS-user] Problem with v.generalize to simplify areas

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 16 15:40:45 EDT 2009

v.generalize does a great job with simplifying or smoothing lines, but
areas either disappear or attribute attachment changes. That's why I
would recommend not to use v.generalize for areas. v.clean tool=prune
behaves the other way around, areas are always preserved, with attribute
attachment, as they are, but line simplification does not always work,
i.e. produces strange results or does not simplify at all. Should we
swap the warnings, e.g. say for v.generalize that there are problems
with processing areas and for areas use v.clean tool=prune instead?

Markus M