[GRASS-user] Suggestions sought!

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 17 22:36:24 EDT 2009

Richard wrote:
> It's been proposed that I do some Grass-GIS demonstrations
> in the demo theatre at this year's FOSS4G in Sydney (did I
> get that right?).

great.

> So I'm seeking the list's input as to what would make
> suitable demonstrations.
>
> There are some aspects that may count as "constraints" that
> I'd like to work within:
>
> - Because I generally run Puppy Linux, and I don't feel
> like remaking my hard drive :-), I would propose running the
> demo from a DVD install. Any input to that would be
> appreciated!

Right now the first RC of the FOSS4G 2009 live-demo DVD / Virtual
Machine is being built from the scripts. Please drop by the live-demo
OSGeo mailing list and say hello, and help us test that all of the
GRASS & GRASS<->QGIS stuff works. From other projects there are
PostGIS and other datasets about to connect to. Testers are badly
needed, especially those who are familiar with Ubuntu 9.04. I've
had to write the GRASS install script blind and so I'm not actually
sure that it works!

http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc
https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/browser/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/bin/
http://download.osgeo.org/livedvd/

there is no torrent tracker yet set up for the DVD images, but if
anyone has experience on how to set up that sort of thing please
introduce yourself on the live-demo mailing list.

> - What aspects of Grass would make good demos? (My own
> specialty is using Grass for vector analysis; I would
> especially hope someone on-list can suggest good raster
> demonstrations).

With an idea that your tutorial session would be vector focused I've
already made a wxGUI raster quick tour:
 https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/browser/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/doc/descriptions/

Please help add to that as you see fit. Even better you are welcome to
add vector tutorial material and take over maintainership of the thing.

wikified version here:
  http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Quick_wx_tutorial

see also Markus's quick run through:
  http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/HowToTestGrass6

and Lorenzo's 1st time basics (adapt for 6.4 wx)
  http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_Help#First_Day_Documentation

> - What else can anyone think of?
>
> I don't yet know the full logistics of what's expected of
> me - I need to take some time for research - but would that
> can wait a little because things are busy at the moment!

have fun,
Hamish