[GRASS-user] stream extraction from ASTER dem

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 29 08:12:22 EDT 2009

Milton Cezar Ribeiro wrote:

> Any colleague that could suggest a way of I extract some
> geomorphometry features (sensu Tom Hengl!) from "large" DEM
> (10,000x6,000), please let me know.

Maybe r.watershed in grass 6.5? The A* Search section of r.watershed in
6.5 needs only about 40% of the memory needed in 6.4 and is about 30%
faster than in 6.4. Both the reduced memory consumption and increased
speed are more noticeable on larger maps with > 50 million non-NULL
cells. In 6.5, r.watershed also supports floating point DEMs and MFD,
each of which and particularly the combination of both produce more
realistic results.

r.terraflow was designed particularly for massive datasets and should
have no problems with a map of 60 million cells.

Lastly, an environment where GRASS (and SAGA rev Tom Hengl) can be
compiled as 64bit application helps processing large datasets.

Best wishes,

Markus M