[GRASS-user] stream extraction from ASTER dem

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 28 09:29:43 EDT 2009

Milton Cezar Ribeiro wrote:
> Hi Markus,
>
> May be you are right (Vista issue!). Two month ago I was trying to run
> the same steps on grass, but I was expecting that new OSGeo4W release
> included some fix for that. :-(
That problem of r.watershed on Vista 64bit (I assume you use Vista 64bit
because of 6GB RAM) showed up before. I guess the basic problem is that
wingrass is 32bit because msys and gcc coming with msys and OS-specific
include files are all 32 bit. A 32bit application can't use all 6GB. It
would be interesting to see if other modules with huge RAM requirements
also fail on Vista 64bit. Anyway, valgrind and gdb did not show me
anything on Linux. Try GRASS on XP or Linux if possible, there it should
work.

Good luck,

Markus M