[GRASS-user] Using v.surf.rst

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 9 06:10:01 EDT 2010

Eric wrote:
> My goal is to import isolines (elevation lines) as well as
> elevation points from another mapping program into GRASS and then
> interpolate a raster based on the vector data and then export as
> a DEM file.
> Also, can you recommend a tutorial that covers this type of
> conversion oriented toward beginners?

- set raster bounds/resolution with g.region,
- import with v.in.ascii,v.in.ogr + v.to.rast, or r.in.xyz,
- then one of the methods shown here:
   http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Contour_lines_to_DEM
  (r.surf.contour is my favourite, but there are a number of choices)
- export raster with r.out.gdal

> After importing the data points, I do not see anything at
> all visually in GRASS GIS Map Display.

see also http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Importing_data

Hamish