[GRASS-user] grass 7 svn gdal

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Tue Apr 13 00:32:20 EDT 2010

Matthew Mulbrandon wrote:
> Building grass 7 in ubuntu 9.10. Got an error I have seen before on this
> list. GRASS
> 7.0.svn (demolocation):/usr/local/src/grass_trunk > g.list: error
> while loading shared libraries: libgdal.so.1: cannot open shared object
> file: No such file or directory

Matthew,

you probably need to make "visible" the path that leads to the directory where
the file "libgdal.so.1" is placed. You can set this under "/etc/ld.so.conf"
directly or as a ".conf" file under "/etc/ld.so.conf.d/".

For example I have within "/etc/ld.so.conf" the following entry (among many
others):
--%<---
/usr/local/lib
--%<---

Once you have done that it is required to execute ldconfig (under ubuntu
usually as a superuser, i.e.: "sudo ldconfig").

As to how you can "trace" files in your system, you can use the "locate"
command. But before "locate" can search for a file in _its_ index (database),
the latter must be updated. So... :

# update db
sudo updatedb

# locate the file of interest