[GRASS-user] Spgrass6 and R using GRASS Bash Scripts

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Fri Apr 16 10:28:52 EDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 11:21 AM, Gilbert Ferrara
<gilbertferrara1974 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Good Morning
> I need to do something similar to what Neteler/Mitasova do in their book
> with spgrass6 and R. Since I will have to perform this a couple of times I
> want to build a simple Script with input/output GUI. But I have never seen a
> GRASS Bash script that calls R and spgrass6. So my question is? Does anyone
> have/knows one? If not, I just need to send to the command line exacly the
> same commands? e.g. R , summary(data) )

Yes. Example:

GRASS 6.4.0svn (nc_spm_08):~ > cat R_batch_nc.R
library(spgrass6)
mydem <- readRAST6("elevation")
summary(mydem)

To run it inside GRASS, do

GRASS 6.4.0svn (nc_spm_08):~ > R CMD BATCH R_batch_nc.R

The standard output result is stored in R_batch_nc.Rout. Of course
you can also generate new GIS data in R and write them back to
GRASS with writeRAST6() or writeVECT6().

Hope this helps,
Markus

PS: Yes, I am also suprised that the GRASS Wiki isn't full of
useful scripts calling R in GRASS in batch mode...