[GRASS-user] Operation of v.split

billt billtold at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 17 21:53:28 EDT 2010

Hi all, I am not sure I understand well the operation of v.split.
Keeping in mind the "Florida coastline" problem mentioned elsewhere in this
forum, I split a large vector with v.split.
Question is, what happens to the attributes? No new attribute table is
created as far as I can tell.
So, should one connect, via v.db.connect, the old (i.e. pre-split) attribute
table to the new split vector? Would that work? (I don't think so)
Or, should one use v.build.polilines and then v.db.connect the old table.?
And if the answer is no to all the above, is there a way that anybody can
suggest, to create a new attribute table before, during or after the v.split
that takes the new segments into account? Preferably via a script because
the number of segments would be in the 100,000.

Many thanks,
Bill