[GRASS-user] Operation of v.split

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Mon Apr 19 08:15:53 EDT 2010

On Sunday 18 of April 2010 03:53:28 billt wrote:
> Hi all, I am not sure I understand well the operation of v.split.
> Keeping in mind the "Florida coastline" problem mentioned elsewhere in this
> forum, I split a large vector with v.split.
> Question is, what happens to the attributes? No new attribute table is
> created as far as I can tell.
> So, should one connect, via v.db.connect, the old (i.e. pre-split)
> attribute table to the new split vector? Would that work? (I don't think
> so) Or, should one use v.build.polilines and then v.db.connect the old
> table.? And if the answer is no to all the above, is there a way that
> anybody can suggest, to create a new attribute table before, during or
> after the v.split that takes the new segments into account? Preferably via
> a script because the number of segments would be in the 100,000.
>
> Many thanks,
> Bill

Bill,

you can check the manual ("g.manual v.split"). There is an example in which
"v.split" is followed by (optionally) "v.build.polylines" (in case you want to
have a polyline) and "v.category in=VectorMap out=VectorMap_Categorised
option=add" to add (new) categories.

Doesn't this help you further?
Regards, Nikos