[GRASS-user] Re: Operation of v.split

billt billtold at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 20 05:22:25 EDT 2010

Thank you Nikos.  I should have explained my problem better.
I have a large contours file, originally a shape file which I imported into
GRASS. It takes ages (e.g. days) to do any processing on it in its entirety
because of its size (approx 700MB).
So I decided to divide it into smaller areas. But even the dividing (using
v.select and v.overlay) takes ages. Finally I decided to try v.split before
v.select to segment the contours and avoid the dreaded "Florida coastline"
problem. Unfortunately v.split does not create an output attributes file.
And this is where I get lost.
Assuming, for argument sake, a single contour line being v.split into 100
segments, the output file will not have any attributes (one of which is the
contour elevation). How do I create an attribute table that will attach the
correct elevation to each new contour segment (easy when you have only one
contour line, but what when you have several '000 contours?)
I hope this clarifies my problem a bit better.
As an aside, since my earlier posting I have discovered that under Windows
you can run gdal 1.7, which adds a cropping functionality to input shape
files, incredibly fast, and produces an output shape file with attributes,
including elevation. And I am thinking of using that functionality before I
import the shapefiles into GRASS, instead of doing the cropping in GRASS.
Any thoughts on this will be most welcome too.
Thank you