[GRASS-user] Compare GRASS versions

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Thu Apr 22 06:23:03 EDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 10:38 AM, Jenny Turner
<jennyturner1980 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings
> I'm preparing a small GIS tool to High School students to do some image
> processing, image vizualization etc and I'm thinking of using GRASS since is
> free and pretty much do what I need. But I realized that 6.4, 6.5 and 7 have
> different characteristics, functionalities.

6.4 and 6.5 are rather close, 7 is starting to deviate.

> What I need to know is if there
> is any document that compares and assesses these 3 versions in order to
> characterizes each one.

To my knowledge there is none. The Wiki would be the right place to
start it.

> For instance GRASS6.5 is able to have dynamic
> wxpython scripts (e.g. v.krige) that is an interesting funcionality.

Yes - but for stability reasons (in case you need it in production), you
may consider 6.4. If functionality is missing and available in later
versions, it could be discussed to backport it for 6.4.1 if not too
complicated. Otherwise, take the next higher version number.

Markus