[GRASS-user] r.in.wms / Wheregroup OSM WMS

Nick Cahill ndcahill at wisc.edu
Sun Apr 25 20:02:23 EDT 2010

I found r.in.wms difficult because the server would time out and return an error file, which would be saved as a file named e.g. Wald__0.geotiff, but would actually be an html error message. This of course causes gdalwarp to fail. I got around it by just deleting those 4 kb error files and running it again, getting a few more tiles, deleting the error files, run again...... It took me a couple days (!) to download all the tiles I needed for a large high resolution map from Blue Marble, but it worked in the end. I also ended up patching and such manually, not using gdalwarp at all.

It was a bear, but not GRASS's fault, perhaps, but a server failure.

Hope this helps.

Nick Cahill