[GRASS-user] r.in.wms / Wheregroup OSM WMS

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 26 06:29:35 EDT 2010

Peter wrote:
> I`m trying to access a WMS service for european OSM data
> (german link: http://www.wheregroup.com/de/freier_wms_mit_openstreetmap_daten)
> in GRASS 6.4 with r.in.wms in an EXPSG4326 location
>
> r.in.wms --o v=5 layers=Wald mapserver=http://osm.wheregroup.com/cgi-bin/osm_basic.xml
> output=Wald

(please use the r.in.wms -c flag while debugging)

> This produces this error message by r.in.wms:
>
> ERROR 4: `/shazzam/locations/wms_download/Wald__0.geotiff'
> not recognised as a supported file format.
> ERROR: r.in.gdalwarp: gdalwarp failure.
>
> The error message is justified, as  the content of
> "Wald__0.geotiff" is actually XML, not a geotiff:

for me + multiple versions of Debian, the xml is correctly noticed and is
displayed to the screen instead of written as a .tif.

the test in the grass 6 version is:
  if [ `file -b "$FILES" | grep -c "^HTML\|^XML"` -eq 1 ] ; then

what does this say:
  file -b really_a_xml.tif
?

`file` is not highly portable, better ways to test it welcome.

> <ows:ExceptionReport xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
> xmlns:ows="http://www.opengis.net/ows/1.1"
> version="1.1.1" xml:lang="en-US" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.opengis.net/ows/1.1 http://schemas.opengis.net/ows/1.1.0/owsExceptionReport.xsd">
>   <ows:Exception exceptionCode="service"
> locator="MissingParameterValue">
>     <ows:ExceptionText>msWFSDispatch(): WFS
> server error. Incomplete WFS request: SERVICE parameter
> missing</ows:ExceptionText>
>   </ows:Exception>
> </ows:ExceptionReport>

notice it says _WFS_ server error not _WMS_ server error.

I expect the wheregroup people are reading the OSM (vector) data from a
WFS server, rendering it with Osmarender or Mapnik on-the-fly, then WMS'ing
the rasterized result.

and the problem is between them and their OSM vector source.

??,
Hamish

ps- for lots of Blue Marble you might as well download the large binary
grids. ~ 1.4gb for the whole world.  or use r.in.onearth WMS frontend from
wiki addons. look on the "Global datasets" page in the wiki. (currently
stalled)