[GRASS-user] TopoFlow and GRASS (or any continuous distributed hydrologic model)

stephen sefick ssefick at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 11:28:10 EDT 2010

I would like to be able to model groundwater and surface water flow
for some particular watersheds with usgs gauging stations.  The
gauging stations are to help parameterize/validate the modeled
discharge.  I would then like to be able to try and predict
probability of intermittance, or, in other words, where permenant flow
starts in the watersheds under investigation.  I think that D8 flow
algorithm based distributed hydrologic models are the way to do this.
If I am wrong I would greatly appreciate this being pointed out.  I
was wondering if there were any implementations for long-term
simulation (I would like to account for different water years).  Also,
I would like to, at the least, use GRASS as a preprocessor for gridded
rainfall and Evapotranspiration time series (along with whatever else
may be necessary input data).  I have looked into GSSHA, but don't not
have the resources for acquiring the WMS software needed to drive the
model ($1500), and it looks like TopoFlow for the Colorado CSMDS
modelling group would work.  If there are any suggestions, comments,
or criticisms of my decisions for trying to attack this problem please
point them out.  Thank you all very much for your wonderful help.
kindest regards,

Stephen Sefick