[GRASS-user] v.net.path assistance

patrick dolan pdolan39 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 11:06:57 EDT 2010

Hello. I'm attempting to use v.net.path for the first time on a non-tutorial
data set (I've already worked through Neteler and Mitasova's "hospitals"
example from *Open Source GIS* 3rd ed.) I expect that my confusion and
questions arise from a relatively poor knowledge of the data structure of
the GRASS system. I have two questions:

1. Can anyone tell me why GRASS would successfully (and repeatedly) import a
polygon shapefile (and associated dbf) into my PERMANENT mapset, but would
a) fail to be able to copy that dbf (using g.copy) or b) create a dbf for a
derived file (say from v.net) in a new mapset in the same LOCATION? The
error is as follows:

SQL parser error: syntax error, unexpected $undefined,
expecting '(' processing '.'
in statement:
create table dbf.Dated

2. Is it possible to create a vector network (v.net) in the mapset PERMANENT
if the line layer is held in the location $GISDBASE/$LOCATION$/$MAPSET and
the points layer is held in the PERMANENT mapset? This is the only means
that I've found to get around the problems identified in question 1.

I have a number of other questions rising from a failed attempt run this
command. If anyone would be interested in providing some longer-term
support, please let me know.

Cheers,

Patrick Dolan
Department of Anthropology