[GRASS-user] r.fillnulls/v.surf.rst

chris carleton w_chris_carleton at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 13 14:06:25 EDT 2010

Hi All,

I'm running:
GRASS 6.4.0RC5
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64Bit
Dell Precision T7500

I've had a weird problem with r.fillnulls and no error has been returned, so I'm having difficulty troubleshooting the issue. I'm trying to fill nulls on DEM composited from ASTER and SRTM in the following region;

projection: 1 (UTM)
zone:       16
datum:      wgs84
ellipsoid:  wgs84
north:      1942262.77484212
south:      1798202.5690284
west:       174842.49776424
east:       382055.4579663
nsres:      15.00002143
ewres:      15.00021429
rows:       9604
cols:       13814
cells:      132669656

The map is significantly smaller than the region, but I want to avoid tiling the DEM in order to fill nulls if at all possible (the DEM is rectangular and north oriented ASTER imagery so it spans the north-south axis of the region at an angle with large null areas east and west). I suspect that the size of the region (the number of cells I mean) is causing trouble. When I run r.fillnulls things proceed as per usual, but after v.surf.rst has been running for about 40 minutes (I watched over it in top) the process dies and no error is returned, but of course the output map isn't generated either hence the trouble. Here's the output from GRASS;

call to r.fillnulls

0 areas built

0 isles built

0 areas built

0 isles built

Attaching islands...

Attaching centroids...

1076528 primitives registered

1076528 vertices registered

Building areas...

Number of nodes: 1076528

Number of primitives: 1076528

Number of points: 1076528

Number of lines: 0

Number of boundaries: 0

Number of centroids: 0

Number of areas: 0

Number of isles: 0

r.to.vect complete.

Interpolating 1076528 points

Note: The following warnings may be ignored.

Removing raster <MASK>

Using segmentation for interpolation...

Percent complete:

Reading lines from vector map ...

Reading nodes from vector map ...

Any ideas about some troubleshooting here? I searched through the archives in the various mailing lists and couldn't really find anything directly related. I'm thinking about grabbing all of the output from the r.fillnulls (and other grass processes called by that script) using GDB or something in case an event isn't being handled in a useful way or an error is actually being returned that isn't making it to the terminal or the GRASS output window. Any help is appreciated before I embark on a long troubleshooting quest.

Chris