[GRASS-user] Table is not created with vector map

LeeDaniel Lee.Daniel.1986 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 10:40:20 EDT 2010

Hello all,

I'm converting a raster to a vector with r.to.vect. The geometries are
converted successfully to vector shapes, but I noticed I was unable to work
further on the vectors' attribute table. When trying to add a field, I
received the following message:

Coor files of vector map <vector_map at test> is larger than it should be
(94546466 bytes excess)

I then tried to open up the attribute table and was told that the attribute
table <vector_map> could not be found. Interesting. A glance under the tab
"Manage Tables" showed no tables at all; I moved on to "Manage Layers" and
found only one layer, linked to my grass base and then
/Test/test/dbf/vector_map with the key cat. However, in my file manager I
don't see any such file, even when also viewing hidden files.

I tried connecting a new table with v.db.addtable, but got:
v.db.addtable map=vector_map at test table=test
Using user specified table name: test
ERROR: There is already a table linked to layer <1>

I've been able to duplicate this problem multiple times with the same
raster, but other vector maps I make from other rasters are created fine,
also with tables. Could the problem be connected to the high number of
features in the vector map? It's got almost a million. However, I've also
worked with vectors with more, which makes me doubt that hypothesis.

Thanks!
Daniel