[GRASS-user] Re: Table is not created with vector map

LeeDaniel Lee.Daniel.1986 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 06:39:16 EDT 2010

Alright, I've run the same test again with the same raster after having
deleted my mapset and importing it again into another location. I've read a
lot in the forums about coor files being too large and it seems that my
hypothesis of the vector being too large is completely invalid. Here some
additional info:

When I use v.build I get the same error:
Coor files of vector map <homogeneous_areas at PERMANENT> is larger than it
should be (94546466 bytes excess)

Nonetheless, v.build runs to the end.
Trying to add a column after running v.build gives me the same problem. I
get the following message:
Coor files of vector map <homogeneous_areas at PERMANENT> is larger than it
should be (94546466 bytes excess)
Coor files of vector map <homogeneous_areas at PERMANENT> is larger than it
should be (94546466 bytes excess)
Coor files of vector map <homogeneous_areas at PERMANENT> is larger than it
should be (94546466 bytes excess)
DBMI-DBF driver error:
Table 'homogeneous_areas' doesn't exist.
Error in db_execute_immediate()
ERROR: Error while executing: 'ALTER TABLE homogeneous_areas ADD COLUMN area
double precision
'
ERROR: Cannot continue (problem adding column).

Still no further.
Running v.digit also doesn't help; I have the same problem. I also tried
exporting the vector as a shapefile and that didn't work either; GRASS
complained about not being able to access the level 2 topology data.

Any help would be appreciated, or at least a nudge in the right direction.
I've read a lot of stuff online but haven't found anything that helps me in
this situation yet and am confident that GRASS can do this... The coor file
is only 90 MiB large with a topo file of 231.8 MiB, therefore not huge
files. Of course, I wouldn't mind doing it with r.area, but my thread there
has also died off... People, I'm sorry if I'm asking stupid questions but at
least I'm trying! :P

Thanks a bunch,
Daniel