[GRASS-user] BAnk and ditch symbols in grass (or other Open Source GIS)

Dr Tim Southern tim.southern at talktalk.net
Mon Aug 23 05:17:44 EDT 2010

Hi,

I am an archaeologist mainly working within woodlands and need to be be
able to display in grass of similar GIS the location of woodland banks
and their associated ditches.  There is a standard set of symbols for
this but is there a way of actually getting GRASS or other GIS to
implement these.

If not has anyone any ideas on how to write the appropriate code or
adapt other code to do it.  My initial thoughts were to digitize the
location of the features to a vector map.  As a vector it has direction
and therefore if a standard was adopted say for example if a ditch
existed it was on the rhs of the vector and the dashes marking the bank
could then be placed on the lhs.

Eventually the information about the profile of the bank and ditch
needs to be analyzed statistically so having the information within a
data base makes good sense.

Thanks

Tim
Dr Tim Southern