[GRASS-user] Re: BAnk and ditch symbols in grass (or other Open Source GIS)

LeeDaniel Lee.Daniel.1986 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 05:37:58 EDT 2010

Hi Tim,

Although it's definitely possible to make maps with GRASS, I personally
prefer to use GRASS to produce my data and then make my maps with QGIS.
Therefore I'm not too familiar with GRASS cartography (is definitely
possible) but QGIS makes it quite easy. You could create custom vector
symbology that does just what you describe and load your vectors into a
database (see QGIS User Guide, especially chapter 3.4, Vector Properties
Dialog -
http://download.osgeo.org/qgis/doc/manual/qgis-1.5.0_user_guide_en.pdf). I'm
not so sure about vectors with directions, though. You could categorize your
lines as having their left side in a certain direction, for example... Or
maybe somebody else has a better idea for that.

Best,
Daniel