[GRASS-user] Add-ons of SVN; install through SVN or UbuntuGIS?

Patrick Schirmer patrick_GIS at gmx.ch
Mon Aug 30 05:05:02 EDT 2010

v.vect.stats fits perfect to what I was looking for. Thanks a lot! Am
using the GRASS-Version 6.4 coming out of UbuntuGIS(unstable) and didn't
know about additional tools in the SVN that could be implemented. I
guess the repository is not the latest version of GRASS, though.
That leads to a more general question installation practice for GRASS on
Ubuntu. It seemed the simpliest way to install it though the
UbuntuGIS-repository (apt-get/synaptics). An installation through the
svn-branch would be more up-to-date, but this becomes a local
installation and compatibility with the rest of my System would not be
checked (please correct me if I am wrong here). What is your experience
on this and what would be best-practice for a non-developer? Maybe
somebody of the developers also knows how often the UbuntuGIS(unstable)
repository is being updated concerning GRASS. This seems to be a
relevant question for people who want to start with GRASS, as I just did.

Thanks and kind regards,

Patrick