[GRASS-user] Re: Add-ons of SVN; install through SVN or UbuntuGIS?

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 30 09:36:12 EDT 2010

Patrick Schirmer wrote:
> v.vect.stats fits perfect to what I was looking for. Thanks a lot! Am using
> the GRASS-Version 6.4 coming out of UbuntuGIS(unstable) and didn't know
> about additional tools in the SVN that could be implemented.

See
http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_AddOns

g.extension in GRASS6.4.0RC7 should be able to install add-ons, not
sure about RC6

> I guess the
> repository is not the latest version of GRASS, though.
> That leads to a more general question installation practice for GRASS on
> Ubuntu. It seemed the simpliest way to install it though the
> UbuntuGIS-repository (apt-get/synaptics). An installation through the
> svn-branch would be more up-to-date, but this becomes a local installation
> and compatibility with the rest of my System would not be checked (please
> correct me if I am wrong here).

You should remove the older GRASS version installed from the
UbuntuGIS-repository first, if you want to install e.g. a generic
weekly snapshot from here
http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/binary/linux/snapshot/

Markus M