[GRASS-user] ps.map issues

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 1 10:43:19 EST 2010

David Kindem wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've run into a problem using ps.map.  I'm trying to output maps that have
> printed successfully before.  The map files overlay several vector layers on
> a fairly large raster image.  In the past, the eps files were created in
> about a minute, and were about 120 mb in size.  Now, the images take about
> 20 minutes to create, are over 2 gb in size, and will not open.

ps.map reads raster maps using the current region settings. Try to
adjust the region resolution to reduce the number of cells in the
current region. You can calculate the minimum required region
resolution from the map dimensions (e.g. paper size minus borders for
East-West) and desired dpi. The number of rows and columns in the
current region should correspond to the number of dots that fit into
the printed or pdf map.

HTH,

Markus M