[GRASS-user] Re: r.water.outlet

Daniel Victoria daniel.victoria at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 13:44:40 EST 2010

Going through my pile of old emails.... Here goes a delayed answer

To delineate basins the water outlet must by on top of a lino of high
acumulation (river) as is explained in the Notes section in
r.water.outlet manual [1]. A trick I saw being used was to user
r.distance (or v.distance) prior to r.water.outlet. I had a map with
the outlet of 100 basin but they were not in the right place. So I
used r.distance to find the nearest river cell close to each outlet
and then use r.water.outlet. For those comming from ESRI backgound,
this is the equivalent of the "snap pour point command".

Cheers
Daniel

[1] - http://grass.osgeo.org/gdp/html_grass64/r.water.outlet.html