[GRASS-user] Re: GRASS-user] What scripting language should I learn?

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Sat Dec 4 08:12:49 EST 2010

On Friday 03 of December 2010 07:46:44 Catlike wrote:
> Thank you.
> Sad to say I am a Windows user. Your phrase "... at the command line..."
> puts fear in my heart. I had a DOS class in 1985...

Bahh... it's not that hard. It's just an idea. You'll get the basics very
quickly - then (I repeat what I've written in the other thread), it depends on
you, what you want to do and how far you want to go.

One more thing: the (new) GRASS-GUI is wonderful. You can play with it and
synchronously try to learn the commands (and their parameters). No need to
start "only" on the command line, although I always recommend to myself to
take a deep breath and dive - do not get distracted from fancy looking
tools...

> How would you recommend I start learning to use a command line? Is there a
> tutorial or set of lessons you recommend?

Absolutely! There are many (I assume... ;-)).
Check <http://grass.osgeo.org/gdp/tutorials.php>