[GRASS-user] Landsat SLC-Off data usage

Nick Jachowski njachowski at gmail.com
Sat Dec 4 12:02:58 EST 2010

Hi Chetan,

I have been working a lot with SLC-Off imagery lately.  Some people in my
department have used the gap filling programs floating around the net, but
I'm not familiar with them personally.  I've settled on using r.patch as
well, although you have to be careful how you apply it.  I found that even
if I used radiometrically corrected landsat images (using i.landsat.toar)
from the same season often the patched parts of the image did not fit
smoothly with the rest of the image (i.e. you could see striations where the
gaps had been).  I'm using the imagery for land classification, so I've
found it works better if I do the classification on each landsat image
separately and then patch them.  Using this method you can't tell where the
former gaps are, at least in my experience working with imagery from the dry
season in southeast asia.

Good luck!
Nick