[GRASS-user] Landsat SLC-Off data usage

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Sat Dec 4 07:54:36 EST 2010

On Friday 03 of December 2010 16:35:21 Chethan S wrote:

> I am using Landsat 7 ETM+ SLC-Off imageries for my academic project work.
> As users may be aware due to Scan line corrector going off in the
> satellite, large gaps are created in each band of image. It accounts for
> loss of 20 to 22 percent of data. Since recently, gap mask files are
> provided along with Landsat data, so you can tell where actual data is
> versus the gaps, also all data gaps have a digital value of 0 (zero).

> Options to use fill in those gaps created include using interpolation
> methods, usage of images from different dates or sensors like IRS or MODIS,
> usage of geostatistics etc. I am interested to know if anyone has employed
> such methods in GRASS previously. Proven techniques would help me progress
> faster.

I used two or three SLC-Off images to create a composite. Rather a
straightforward job using r.patch. Make sure you understand how r.patch works
(the order of the supplied raster maps matters). Of course, there is no doubt
that you can play with the various interpolation techniques. In this case I
did not so I can't give more info on it.

Nikos