[GRASS-user] Fwd: ->GRASS User list: make & sudo make install

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Dec 15 08:53:42 EST 2010

Patrick_schirmer wrote:

> Fwd message from a colleague of mine who takes care of our
> linux-systems. This seems to be unusual behaviour:
>
> When compiling from svn, the command sequence
>
> make
> sudo make install
>
> installs GRASS to /usr/local, but everything is owned by the user
> who executed make. Is this desired behavior, or a bug?

A long-standing bug. You can safely "chown -R root:root..."
everything.

The GRASS build process installs everything to a staging directory as
it goes. "make install" just copies the staging directory to the final
location using "tar c ... | tar x ...". Using the "-o" flag when
extracting would prevent the ownership from being preserved when run
by root, but I don't know whether this is portable.