[GRASS-user] slow v.what.rast

razmjooeis at faunalia.co.uk razmjooeis at faunalia.co.uk
Wed Dec 15 09:22:58 EST 2010

Dear all,

I am trying to update a column in my vector point layer with a raster
value. I have tried v.what.rast. The problem is the number of points I
have are rather large (over 3M in each vector point and 20 vectors!).

Having done a bit of search to see how I can speed up the process, I came
across Markus Neteler's comment back in 2007 in grass-dev mailing list.
http://www.mail-archive.com/grass-dev@grass.itc.it/msg01913.html

Is there any other ways of doing that without using v.what.rast? I am
running grass 6.5 from svn on ubuntu 10.10 64 bit.

Your help is highly appreciated.
Many thanks
Sab