[GRASS-user] Raster Map subset

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Feb 5 19:36:05 EST 2010

On Fri, 5 Feb 2010, stephen sefick wrote:

> Is there a way to get a subset of a larger raster map.  I have zoomed
> into an area and would like to make a raster map only containing that
> area. Can I do this? I am going to use this as input into R for some
> topmodel runs.

Stephen,

   Yes, you can. This subject has come up several times in the past month or
so so the archives have a lot of options for you. One to look at closely is
v.in.region. After zooming to the area you want, run v.in.region and save
that vector map. You can then use it with the g.region command to limit the
displayed bounds of your raster map. You can use r.patch to make a new
raster map that's the size of the newly created vector map.

   Are you aware of r.topmodel within GRASS?

Rich