[GRASS-user] Two General Questions

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Feb 12 13:22:17 EST 2010

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010, Jarek Jasiewicz wrote:

>>   1) Can GRASS work with TINs for elevation determinations? I've not seen
>> anything about it, yet I've read that it has advantages over raster-based
>> DEMs for some purposes and wonder if there are any plans to accommodate
>> this
>> data structure.

> No

   That's what I thought, Jarek.

> d.rast -o see d.rast

   I completely forgot about the overlay switch. Thank you.

> I also suggest nviz and nviz documentation.

   I'm working my way through the documentation and slowly learning how to
use nviz.

> I also suggest you  Open Source GIS a GRASS GIS approach by Marcus Neteler
> and Helena Mitasova

   Have the second edition which I've thoroughly read.

> nviz give you really impressive visuals with maximum resolution ppm images
> (require posterior GIMP post processing) but please! read manual first.

   I'll do more with this. All I did so far with the GIMP is crop the image.
Then I converted it to .jpg for inclusion in the LaTeX document.

   If you have suggestions for post-processing with the GIMP, I'd like to
learn them.

Rich