[GRASS-user] How to join 3D object to database

Stefania Merlo sm399 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Feb 14 15:31:10 EST 2010

Dear all,

still working on my 3D GIS for archaeological excavation. So, I
managed successfully to create 3D vector
solids that represent archaeological strata (or contexts or layers, as
you prefer) with a combination of creating upper and lower surface
TINs in GRASS/Meshlab and joining them within 3D StudioMax (I have not
found an Open source solution easy enough for me). I have imported the
solids in GRASS, they seem to import nicely and they well visualise in
Paraview. With the fact that they have to be handled as a combination
of 3D faces rather than a unique solid, I am now facing a difficulty.
How do I link the solids to my context database (which was given to me
in Access but I have transformed into a simple cvs file)? Is the only
solution that of linking the same context to all the single faces of
my GRASS solid (in same cases more than 200/300)?

Has any one have any idea on a possible solution?

Thank you in advance.

Stefania

Stefania Merlo
Department of Archaeology