[GRASS-user] Re: graphically selecting multiple features (Kurtis Blaikie-Birkigt)

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Fri Feb 19 00:19:33 EST 2010

> Message: 8
> Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 16:53:50 -0700
> From: Kurtis Blaikie-Birkigt <kblaikie at telus.net>
> Subject: [GRASS-user] graphically selecting multiple features
> To: grass-user at lists.osgeo.org
>
> Hello,  I'm new to GRASS, coming from an Arc* background, and often find
> that I'm approaching things from the wrong direction.  I'm using GRASS
> 6.4 with the wxPython GUI.
>
> I would like to graphically select multiple features from a large vector
> file and edit an attribute of those features.  (I have a poorly
> classified polygon shapefile of hydrology and want to separate the
> rivers from the lakes).  How can I go about this.  With v.what.vect I
> seem to be able to only edit one feature at a time.
>
> Any suggestions will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Kurt

Kurt,

If you're not on Windows, you could use d.extract.

d.mon x0
(starts the monitor)

d.vect <vector name>
(displays the map)

d.extract <vector name> <output name>
This will allow you to select all of the features you want using the
mouse, into a new map.

For eg: you could select all the rivers into a new vector, edit the
attribute in the new vector (various ways to do this in Grass, or use
your DBMS to edit the feature), then set that attribute back in the
original map.

Clunky, I realise, but it will be quicker than setting lots of
attributes one at a time!

Cheers,
Richard