[GRASS-user] r.profile grass64_rc5 - grass7

Francesco Mirabella mirabell at unipg.it
Fri Feb 19 04:04:01 EST 2010

Hi,
by browsing the man pages I have found that r.transect should do the
work. Howevere at the moment it works by telling the module east, north,
azimuth and distance, while maybe it would be good to have also another
couple of options like:

1 choose a vector make with sql query to tell the module where to sample
elevations
2 be able to draw a cross sections and get and ascii file
distance-elevations (this could be achieved by d.profile if there was
such an option)

At present the only way I can get a topographic profile to load into a
spreadsheet is to use the oldtcltk, query the raster (d.where) and then
use the d.where output as the input data for r.profile (still in
oldtcltk) which gives me an ascii distance-elevation file. Indetail:

cat  d.where-output  | r.profile input=dem output=elevation_points

Hope other people can contribute
Francesco

John Tate wrote:

> Hey Francesco,
>
> I'd be interested to hear what other people have to say about this.
>
> I used d.what.rast as I had ground control points, from GPS, for the profiles
> with which to validate the DEM. Add columns and update them with d.what.rast
> and export (.csv), then I put that together with the distance info from the
> GPS data.
>
> Hope that helps. But probably not if your are drawing random profiles.
>
> John
>

> On Thursday 18 February 2010 15:42:31 Francesco Mirabella wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I am trying to use the r.profile module on a DEM. I have tried on both
>> grass64_rc5 and grass7 with wxpython gui.
>> In 64_rc5 there still exist the "old" option which allowed the user to
>> interactively select the end-points by mouse, but the function does not
>> appear to work as I get:
>> ------ r.profile -i input=DEM output=profile
>> Using resolution [90.0161]
>> No socket to connect to for monitor <cairo7>.
>> ------ I can use it only with the oldtcltk
>>
>> In grass 7 the possibility to choose the end-points with mouse is not
>> there any more
>> can someone give hints??
>>
>> By the way, the display profiler in the monitor works good in 64_rc5 -
>> not i grass7 (I guess it's the "old" d.profile") but I cannot see any
>> way to export the data in ascii format (distance-elevation) to load them
>> into a spreadsheet
>>
>> more hints??
>> many thanks
>>
>> Francesco

Francesco Mirabella,
Geologia Strutturale e Geofisica
Universita' di Perugia,
Dipartimento di Scienze della Terra,
Piazza Universita' 1, 06100 Perugia (Italy)
tel: ++39.(0)75.584.7948
fax: ++39.(0)75.585.2603
skype: francesco.mirabella
web: http://www.unipg.it/~mirabell/