[GRASS-user] Raster surface from regularly spaced points

Luigi Ponti lponti at infinito.it
Fri Feb 19 05:40:03 EST 2010

Hello,

I have a grid of (almost) regularly spaced vector points from which I
would like to get a continuous raster surface. I say "almost" regularly
spaced, because the grid is almost square in that the position of points
derives from a netCDF grid with a different projection than the current
GRASS location. One cell of this non-aligned grid covers several raster
cells at the current region resolution.

So far I have been using a v.surf.idw approach but I am not sure whether
that is appropriate. An exact interpolator would be best, but at least I
want conserve the range of the original data.

According the the GRASS book (p. 228), my options would be v.surf.idw
and v.surf.rst but the latter does not conserve data range, I think.
Another idea would be to use bilinear interpolation.

Any hints very welcome and thanks for your attention if you got so far,

Luigi