[GRASS-user] Download Page: Another Question

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Fri Feb 19 09:59:05 EST 2010

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 3:36 PM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
> Markus (N.):
>
>  Yesterday you cleared my confusion on the 6.4 stable and RC5 versions. It
> was not until now, as I download the latest source per Hamish's suggestion,
> that it occurred to me to ask why the RC5 branch is still available for
> download.

This is easy to answer:
- RC5 is the latest *officially* released package of 6.4.0.
- "latest source snapshots" are inofficially put on the web site since they
  change every week
- SVN release branch is the way to get instant updates

The plan is to package RC6 asap (which is hopefully REALLY the last one
before the final release of 6.4.0).

>  I see on the mail list that folks are using it and asking questions that
> might be avoided if they migrated from the release candidate to the stable
> release. So, why is the RC5 still available for download?

Because it is the latest *officially* released package of 6.4.0.
That's why we urgently need RC6 to make all the fantastic improvements
of the last week available in organized form.
The final stable package should follow shortly (so that we can start the
same business for 6.4.1 :) while new developments are done in 7.

Hope this helps,
Markus