[GRASS-user] Download Page: Another Question

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Feb 19 11:03:34 EST 2010

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010, Markus Neteler wrote:

> This is easy to answer:
> - RC5 is the latest *officially* released package of 6.4.0.

Markus,

   A-ha! That's not immediately obvious to literalists like me.

> The plan is to package RC6 asap (which is hopefully REALLY the last one
> before the final release of 6.4.0).

   When I read on the Web page, "... the current state of the 6.4.x release
branch version (stable)..." I assume that this is the stable release. Guess
it's a matter of terminology.

> Because it is the latest *officially* released package of 6.4.0. That's
> why we urgently need RC6 to make all the fantastic improvements of the
> last week available in organized form. The final stable package should
> follow shortly (so that we can start the same business for 6.4.1 :) while
> new developments are done in 7.

   Well, I'm still confused. If RC5 is the latest "official" release, why not
put all changes in there rather than in 6.4.x stable release branch? This is
now a rhetorical question that does not need an answer on the list. I think
it's a matter of my experience with other applications which colors my
perception of the meanings.

Thanks,

Rich