Fwd: [GRASS-user] HDF-5 parse

Pedro Roma pedroroma1982 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 04:16:30 EST 2010

Hey

>  Not necessarily. It is also possible that GCPs are stored and gdalwarp
> needs to be
> used first to obtain a really geocoded file.
>
> Say, use gdalwarp to preprocess the data. Please try with one channel and
> post what gdalinfo reports on the resulting file.

Since GRASS documentation extensively preprocess to GEOTIFF, I will try
that. Is it the best thing to do?
ok here it goes

By using
gdalinfo HDF5:"/mnt/GIS/DATA/HDF5_DATA_MSG_FAPAR_Euro_200702220000"://FAPAR

I get:
Driver: HDF5Image/HDF5 Dataset
Files: none associated
Size is 1701, 651
Coordinate System is:
GEOGCS["WGS 84",
    DATUM["WGS_1984",
        SPHEROID["WGS 84",6378137,298.257223563,
            AUTHORITY["EPSG","7030"]],
        TOWGS84[0,0,0,0,0,0,0],
        AUTHORITY["EPSG","6326"]],
    PRIMEM["Greenwich",0,
        AUTHORITY["EPSG","8901"]],
    UNIT["degree",0.0174532925199433,
        AUTHORITY["EPSG","9108"]],
    AXIS["Lat",NORTH],
    AXIS["Long",EAST],
    AUTHORITY["EPSG","4326"]]
Corner Coordinates:
Upper Left  (    0.0,    0.0)
Lower Left  (    0.0,  651.0)
Upper Right ( 1701.0,    0.0)
Lower Right ( 1701.0,  651.0)
Center      (  850.5,  325.5)
Band 1 Block=1701x1 Type=Int16, ColorInterp=Undefined
  Metadata:
    FAPAR:CLASS=Data
    FAPAR:PRODUCT=product
    FAPAR:PRODUCT_ID=0
    FAPAR:N_COLS=1701
    FAPAR:N_LINES=651
    FAPAR:NB_BYTES=2
    FAPAR:SCALING_FACTOR=10000
    FAPAR:OFFSET=0
    FAPAR:MISSING_VALUE=-10
    FAPAR:UNITS=N/A
    FAPAR:CAL_SLOPE=1
    FAPAR:CAL_OFFSET=0

If I do :
gdalwarp
HDF5:"/mnt/GIS/LSASAF/HDF5_LSASAF_MSG_FAPAR_Euro_200702220000"://FAPAR
 /mnt/GIS/testing.tif
I get:
ERROR 1: Unable to compute a transformation between pixel/line
and georeferenced coordinates for
HDF5:/mnt/GIS/LSASAF/HDF5_LSASAF_MSG_FAPAR_Euro_200702220000://FAPAR.
There is no affine transformation and no GCPs.

Is this helpful to solve this question?
At MODIS Wiki (http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/MODIS) Gdal Warp is not used.
Instead, it's create a intermediate file (TIF) using gdal_translate and only
then is r.in.gdal is used.

Thank you Markus and Antonio and Hamish for your help