[GRASS-user] Missing fonts in windows installation

Anssi Pekkarinen muginaa at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 13:50:49 EST 2010

Dear list,

a newbie question follows:

I have managed to install grass64 using latest osgeo4w installer and can now
(after a few modifications) run shell scripts in a Msys window. However, I
noticed something weird: the fontcap file was referring to a directory which
did not exist i.e. to  /c/OSGEO4W/apps/grass/grass-6.4.0svn/fonts. I created
the dir and ran g.mkfontcap with extradirs=c:/winnnt/fonts and it went
through all right. But still, if I'm not mistaken, it seems that I  can use
only the default font. At least for labels.

Any idea how to fix this? can I just download the fronts from somewhere,
install them to the fonts dir, and run the g.mkfontcap again?

Thanks,

ilumas

p.s.

uname -a in msys gives

MINGW32_NT-5.1 1.0.11(0.46/3/2) 2007-01-12 12:05 i686 Msys
Grass:  GRASS 6.4.0svn

p.p.s

Needed osgeo4w installation tricks to start the grass64 and to run gdal and
ogr tools from an msys window:

remove (skip) libjpeg-ipp package
remove zoneinfo package (last one)
open Msys shell
find   /C/OSGeo4W/ -name 'Init.sh‘
change the value of  GISBASE in /c/OSGeo4W/bin/grass64 to point to
/c/OSGEO4W/apps/grass/grass-6.4.0svn
(mkdir c:/OSGEO4W/apps/grass/grass-6.4.0svn/fonts)
(g.mkfontcap -o extradirs=/C/winnt/fonts/)

for GDAL

if you see complains about missing DLLs, just rename/move corresponding libs
located in
C:\OSGeo4W\bin\gdalplugins\  directory. Or install the required libs.

for OGR