[GRASS-user] Wingrass 6.4 with MSYS does not work

Daniel Victoria daniel.victoria at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 10:56:40 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I just installed WinGrass 6.4.0RC6 and I can get the Grass wxpython
gui to work OK. The thing is that I also want to use the command line
for some bash loops and R integration. So I have one question and one
problem. Let's go for the problem first.

1) Problem: If it click on the Grass with MSYS icon the screen
prompting for the location and mapset will show up but, when I select
the location and click OK, Grass shuts down. Opening a msys windows
and calling grass64 gives the following error:

$ Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "c:/Program Files (x86)/GRASS-64/etc/wxpython/wxgui.py", line
78, in <module>
    import gui_modules.preferences as preferences
  File "c:\Program Files
(x86)\GRASS-64\etc\wxpython\gui_modules\preferences.py", line 807, in
<module>
    globalSettings = Settings()
  File "c:\Program Files
(x86)\GRASS-64\etc\wxpython\gui_modules\preferences.py", line 491, in
__init__
    self.ReadSettingsFile()
  File "c:\Program Files
(x86)\GRASS-64\etc\wxpython\gui_modules\preferences.py", line 563, in
ReadSettingsFile
    mapset_file = os.path.join(gisdbase, location_name, mapset_name,
self.fileName)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\GRASS-64\Python25\lib\ntpath.py", line
67, in join
    elif isabs(b):
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\GRASS-64\Python25\lib\ntpath.py", line
53, in isabs
    s = splitdrive(s)[1]
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\GRASS-64\Python25\lib\ntpath.py", line
119, in splitdrive
    if p[1:2] == ':':
TypeError: 'NoneType' object is unsubscriptable

2) Question: Can I integrate Wingrass and R? How do I run R from the
grass command line? Should I use MSYS? because I can't get the windows
command line functioning after I start wxpython gui.

Thanks
Daniel